Welcome to Andrews Moving Resource Center
Moving Time Line
8 weeks before Moving Day week of _______________
- Contact Andrews Moving to schedule a free in-home estimate
- Sort through basement, attic, storage and garage for items to donate or place in a garage sale
- Decide what will be packed by Andrews Moving team of experienced packers
- Begin using the canned, frozen or refrigerated food that will not be moving
- Contact the IRS and/or your accountant for information on what moving expenses may be tax deductible
- Keep the phone number and name of Andrews Move Coordinator handy. Enter in your address book, PDA or cell phone
6 weeks before Moving Day week of _______________
- Request medical, dental, and veterinarian records
- Make travel arrangements
- Set the date for the garage sale and schedule advertising
- Pack important documents (birth certificates, licenses, passports, etc.) in box or tote to travel with you
4 weeks before Moving Day week of _______________
- Contact U.S. Post Office to arrange for mail to be forwarded.
- Contact utilities and related companies to disconnect at your current home and set up service at your new residence. Click here for a helpful list – Places to Contact. Keep utilities in service through moving day.
- Return library books and anything borrowed from friends and neighbors.
- Contact your favorite donation center to schedule pick up date. Ask them for a list of allowable deductions for donated items.
- Arrange for special transportation for your pets. Ask your Move Coordinator for the booklet “Moving with Pets”.
- Find new homes for your plants. Suggestions – give to friends or family; donate to hospital or nursing home; include in garage sale.
- Send change of address cards or emails to friends and family.
- If driving, have your car serviced for the trip.
2 weeks before Moving Day week of _______________
- Decide which clothes travel with you
- Start to dismantle outdoor play equipment or schedule for third party service
- Empty the tanks of powered tools such as mowers.
- Put items that stay with the house (maintenance records, manuals, numbers for service technicians, etc) in a box labeled for the new owners.
- Check to make sure you have enough medication for at least four weeks, and copies of any necessary prescriptions.
- Create a “Take With” kit of essentials during the move and arrival at your new home
- If you are moving out of or into a building with elevators, contact the site manager to schedule use of the elevator
- Confirm your new residence address and phone numbers or any changes in dates or stops with your Andrews Move Coordinator.
- Clean garden tools, bicycles and any other gardening equipment.
1 week before Moving Day week of _______________
- Pack a box of personal items that will be needed immediately at your new home. Have the box loaded last or carry it with you.
- Separate luggage items you will need for personal travel.
- Arrange for someone to look after the children and/or pets on moving day.
2 to 4 Days before Moving Day Date____________
- Organize and set aside items you will be taking with you so they don’t get loaded into the van in error.
- Empty school and health club lockers.
- Finish the food that will not be moving with you
Moving Day Moving Date____________
- Record all utility readings – gas, electric, water
- Confirm that your van operator has the exact address of your new residence and active phone numbers.
- When the van operator arrives, point out any items of special concern and high valued items.
- Set personal items and luggage in a secure area to be taken with you.
- Do a final check of all closets and storage areas before driver leaves residence.
- Take a last look around:
- Turn off all lights
- Close and lock windows and doors
- Shut off water
- Turn down temperature or shut off furnace
- Leave old house keys with realtor or neighbor
Delivery Day Delivery Date____________
- Be at your new residence on the delivery day. The van operator will contact you 24 hours before delivery to confirm time of arrival.
- Post a floor plan (if available) in the entrance that is easiest for the movers to see as they are bringing in the household items. Put signs (master bedroom, sally’s BR, den, etc.) on each room for easier identification.
- Check your household goods as they are unloaded. Note any damage or missing articles on the van operator’s inventory sheet before signing. By signing the inventory sheet you are acknowledging the receipt of all items listed.
- Report any loss or damage to your Move Coordinator and request a claim form. You must complete the claim form and submit within the noted time.